An Informational Interview with Adam, Manager at a Background Investigations Company
1. What's your current job title?
Coordinator of the Proofing Department
2. What jobs did you hold before this?
Validator (general staff of the proofing dept.)
3. How did you get hired into your current position?
I earned a promotion after 5 years working in my department.
4. Did you need any special training for your job?
I came to the company with a Bachelor's degree, and then completed on-the-job training on the system.
5. What do you think makes someone successful in your role? Are there certain traits or skills a
person needs to have?
Attention to detail, good writing skills, and a high level of focus.
6. What is something you didn't know about this job before you were hired?
7. What are some of the challenges your industry is currently facing?
The general state of economy, also trying to achieve a balance of speed and accuracy.
8. How do you see the industry changing over the next 10 years?
Faster results, easier access with clearance, and possible tightening of security of information.
9. Do you belong to any professional organizations?
The company is ISO 9000 certified, so I make sure we follow the organization's standards.
10. If somebody was considering making a career change or starting a career in your industry,
what advice would you have? What's a good place to start?
I would recommend finishing college and suggest job seekers try to enter at a high level in areas such as sales or IT.